Is English Required at RRU?
All of our programs are taught in English, and we do have specific English Language Requirements. If English is not your first language, we have ESL Pathways you can use to improve your proficiency.
Royal Roads University provides both online and face-to-face English Language Support and international student services. Learn more about our support services.
English Language Upgrading
If you do not meet our English proficiency requirements our International Study Centre can assist you with upgrading.
Demonstrating English Language Proficiency
As part of the application process, you must demonstrate proficiency in English speaking, listening, reading and writing by one of the following means:
- Submission of an official English language proficiency score report which meets one of the following minimum standards:
- International English Language Testing System (Academic): 6.5 overall; minimum 6.5 in writing and speaking, minimum 6.0 in listening and reading
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) Internet-based Test (IBT): 88 overall; minimum 24 in writing; minimum 20 in listening, reading and speaking
Note: If you wish to submit results from an alternate source, please visit our English Language Requirements page or contact Admissions for more information.
- Graduation from a recognized diploma or degree program from a college or university at which English was the primary language of instruction in an English speaking country.
- Completion of the International Study Centre's undergraduate or pre-master's pathway program(s).
If you believe you are fully proficient in English you may provide a written submission to the Admissions Office, demonstrating English proficiency through other means. Some programs may require additional or alternative verification of English competence. For Doctorate level programs please see program specific admission requirements.