Study Permit and Visas

As an international student and temporary resident in Canada, there are a few documents you will need to prepare before coming to Canada. Ensure you give yourself sufficient time to apply for admission to RRU by checking our application deadlines as well as Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada’s (IRCC) study permit processing times

Port of Entry (POE) Letter of Introduction:

The port of entry letter of introduction is provided by IRCC once your study permit has been approved. The letter is not your study permit and must be shown to border officials upon entering Canada at a port of entry. The port of entry letter must also be shown to RRU’s International Admissions Office prior to your condition deadline stated in your official offer of admission letter. 

Study Permit:

A study permit is not a visa. A study permit is a document that gives you permission to study and remain in Canada on a temporary basis. All international students registered in a program longer than 6 months, including blended programs with on-campus residencies, require a study permit for the duration of studies. Prior to applying for your study permit review your country specific document requirements

Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) & Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA):

Along with a study permit, international students are required to have an electronic travel authorization (eTA) or a temporary resident visa (TRV) in order to travel to Canada. Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travelers with a valid Canadian visa. Find out if you require a TRV or eTA.

For more information visit Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada.

[The immigration information on this webpage has been reviewed and endorsed by a Regulated International Student Immigration Advisor (RISIA) in compliance with the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations. This is not a legal document and information may change without notice. Please refer to the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website for the most updated information]